Our featured produce item for the week of August 5 – basil. Enjoy a free bundle of basil with your order this week!
Fresh corn, basil, tomato summer salad
- 2-3 ears of fresh corn
- 2 cups (350g) cherry tomatoes (or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup (75g) loosely packed chopped fresh basil (reserve any small leaves for garnish)
- Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1-2 small shallots, peeled and minced (1-2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
6 tablespoons (90ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Shuck the corn and remove it from the cob. (Technique here.)
- Remove any stems and slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and dice the flesh. Cut the cucumber into similar sized cubes.
- Put the corn kernels, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, and basil into a serving bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, shallots, salt, and olive oil. Pour the vinaigrette dressing over the salad and gently mix together. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
Serving and storage: The dressed salad can be served right away or in a few hours. (It can be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature, but should be served room temperature.) It’s best the same day it’s made.